Life's journey's end for Jane Betsy, Emma Jane and Joseph


This story started in Tunstall in 1991 and ended here thirty two years later. I emerged from Stoke Newington station in the pouring rain to walk the wet pavements, and avoid the splashes from the flooded crossings, to explore Abney Park Cemetery. As I was early for my appointment I explored gingerly, for the paths were loamy, puddled and slippery. Where among the bare trees and ivy-clad hidden gothic-style memorials would I find what I was looking for? I met up with Haydn who works for Abney Park and Hackney Council. My expectations were low. I thought she might have located a ruinous concealed memorial and together, we would clear the ivy and weeds to try to decipher what was written. I was wrong. Haydn and her colleagues are working on clearing and researching the memorials. They had cleared the way and tidied the tomb of my ancestors. I had not expected it.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strong family ties with rural Norfolk and Yarmouth in the 1920s

The family leave Tunstall and split up in 1875

The Tunstall mystery