The Tunstall mystery deepens

The farm at Tunstall circa 1867 with the family and farm buildings outside.

The more I investigate the more questions arise. When my mother and I visited Tunstall 29 years ago, we were shown over a well established timber-framed three-storey farm house which had been updated, probably in the late 18th and early 19th centuries when farming in England was an important part of feeding the nation. Imports were difficult during the Napoleonic Wars. The artist John Constable's father, owner of several mills on the Essex/Suffolk border, prospered in those years. Also one of the heroes of the Napoleonic wars was Admiral Horatio Nelson, a Norfolk man.
    Jane Betsy was born in Tunstall in January 1823, perhaps at the farm or nearby. Her husband, James Pollard Skinner, oldest son, James Charles Skinner, younger son Thomas Skinner and oldest daughter Harriet Louisa are all buried in the churchyard. By 1876 Jane Betsy has moved out to Heigham Road, Norwich. The letters Emma Jane has kept indicate she is not well.
   Was it Tunstall itself which was unhealthy? Did the family move away because the marshes were causing the illnesses which took so many of them? Were the fields fertilised with London muck, as they were on Mersea Island in Essex, when the Reverend Sabine Baring Gould, who lived there in the Rectory from 1871 until 1881, complained so bitterly about the practice. Was that causing a spate of illness in the families who lived there? Was it because mechanisation was coming in and farming was not profitable?
   If the family had been comfortably off at one time, Jane Betsy, her sisters, their children and their cousins' fortunes fell. The reasons are far from clear and must have been a complete mystery to all surviving members of the family at the time, including my great grandmother Emma Jane. It is probably why she kept the letters.
    The families are so large, there are cousins all over Norfolk to trace. Some of them I have traced through their letters.
    In the course of my researches I've found a first cousin five times removed who was a carpenter and millwright. He died the Yarmouth workhouse (1909) Eight years later, his only grandson, a third cousin twice removed, is killed in Flanders (1917).
    Emma Jane's cousin Arthur Skinner emigrated with his family from Yarmouth to New South Wales, Australia.
    One thing I can be sure of, I have many close and distant relatives (DNA verified) through Jane Betsy's Parents. And, of course, I have her sketch book from 1831. Each page is watermarked "J.W. Hatman 1830" One of her sketches is below. The same watermark is mentioned at auction details for artists of the period, including J.M.W. Turner.

Comments

Re-reading this I find I have my John's and James's mixed up. I will correct this. apologies.
Some erudite friends of mine, with whom I have spent many happy hours exploring and interpreting interesting places and buildings have identified a cottage in Halvergate which shows similar features to Jane Betsy's sketch, above. They have also directed me to the listing of the farmhouse at Tunstall, which identified the building is mainly on two stories and the top floor are attic rooms with windows. We also think the combination of the nearby marshland, which was being cultivated by the family and the difficulty of heating a large rather exposed building, could have caused the poor health of so many family members. The move to Norwich for the depleted family members was in time for most of them, but not for Jane Betsy's oldest daughter Louisa. Of the 14 children Jane Betsy gave birth to, only four of them survived into the 20th century.

Popular posts from this blog

Strong family ties with rural Norfolk and Yarmouth in the 1920s

The family leave Tunstall and split up in 1875

The Tunstall mystery