The Tunstall mystery begins to unravel

In November 1886 Laura Sharpe writes to her sister Emma Jane from the home and ironmongery business in Gloucester she runs with her husband Job. Rosa May is unmarried. Mary Ann (Polly) Stebbings is running a bookshop and stationers, with her husband Frank, in Lowestoft, Suffolk. Laura's letter has a query from Job on the last page.

43, Lower Barton St,
Gloucester
Nov 27th/86

My Dear Emma,
    I thought it very kind of you to think of my birthday. The card is very pretty and accept our thanks for the box of contents – which are most useful –  excuse me not answering before as I have not felt well this week – and obliged to keep on foot from morning to till night (that's what business means).
   Well dear you will be surprised to hear Job has decided to buy this property (just put into the market) & the one next door, they are sold together. I have just been thinking with your five hundred you could buy the house next door & the business – it is confectionary & you would be just the one in a shop – only there does not seem to be any opening for Joe. There is not sufficient trade to employ a man.
   Many thanks for the recipe.
   Had such a nice little letter from Rosa & a pair of kid gloves. I came off well.
   Have you made your puddings yet? & mincemeat? I have made the puddings about a fortnight & the mincemeat I intend to finish next week. Then I want to send a small Xmas parcel to you.
  Now must conclude.
  Job unites with me in fond love, trusting you Joe and children are well.
  I remain your loving sister
  Laura
Excuse this short note in haste

Dear Emma & Joe,
   Just a word or two to fit in this spare side. I am sure you are all exceeding kind. I see Laura has already said we have purchased our premises and the house next door for £950. If you thought anything of the confectionary business, either to rent or buy, you could see it when you come over at Xmas. The present occupants lease expires next June. Mr & Mrs Butler get a living there and do a nice little trade out of it. I think Mr Butler has a great deal of spare time which he might well utilise in an agency or office or numerous other things.
   According to Rosa's last letter, Frank seems to think Mrs Skinner should have something to show for the £360. She says Harry has not kept up the interest upon it & for some time consequently Mrs S is reduced to £75 per annum. It does seem hardly the thing. Where Mr Skinner expressly stated in his will that £100 up from the use of the £360. I don't know whether the amount is Harry's or belongs to the family. I think (privately) it is sunk, so that no-one will see any of that again: we ought to be more grateful to God for his goods. I am grateful for His benefits, especially during the time we have been here. I am sure we have been blessed abundantly, but I feel that is all his now.
   with fond love from,
   Job

Comments

This letter to Emma Jane and Joe Joyce from her sister Laura and her husband Job is written at the end of 1886, when their youngest sister Rosa May has reached her majority. From articles in the Norfolk newspapers the following year, it is apparent, Harry has not topped up his mother's annuity, because he has invested the lump sum left by his father for his mother in his farm at Burlingham St Edmund. He has also invested money which should have been put aside for his sister Rosa. She serves him with a writ for it. Although Harry holds two auctions at Burlingham and cashes in some of his life policies, he is nevertheless advised by his Yarmouth solicitor to go bankrupt. It is at this stage his responsibility for his mother's annuity from his father is taken over by his uncles by marriage, Alfred Neave and Sherwood William Page. The amount of £350 is itemised in James Pollard Skinner's will because it is the sum he spent on medical school fees for his eldest son, James Charles Skinner, who died in the London Fever Hospital on 29th October 1870. He wishes this amount to be distributed equally between his surviving children.

Popular posts from this blog

Strong family ties with rural Norfolk and Yarmouth in the 1920s

The family leave Tunstall and split up in 1875

The Tunstall mystery