Tell Laura I love her

A terraced house in Heigham Road Norwich, above, top, part of Alfred King's letter to Emma Jane
Emma Jane receives a letter from Alfred King who has been courting her sister Laura. It is April 1876. Jane Betsy, Emma Jane, Laura and Rosa May  have moved from the farmhouse in Tunstall to Albion Terrace, Heigham Road, Norwich. Alfred King writes with a flourish and is clearly keen to make an impression. His (probably well-practiced) signature would make a good logo for a company. Laura, who has been working in a mourning warehouse marries Job Sharpe, an ironmonger, from the midlands six years later. They move to Gloucester. The only name of King I have in my archives are of a marriage between Robert King and Eliza Beaver on 15th October 1824 and I have no idea why it has been kept.

April 28th 1876

My Dear Friend
    I address this note to you because this is perhaps an occasion when wisdom requires that what I am about to say should not be conveyed directly to Laura for whom it is designed ("the force of a River is often lessened by the winding, crooked, channels of its course.")
   If you will kindly be the means of conveying what is to follow, I think you can modify anything that may be indiscreet. Of course you can guess what I am about to say.
   I congratulate myself in having become friendly with your dear mother, yourself and sisters, and were I never to meet any of your family again, the remembrance would be such that, rather than forget I would ever cherish –  & why? because I feel deeply indebted for the kind and open way you have received me as a friend –
  Nothing can give me real pleasure which does not increase that of others, and to act consistently with what I have just said, I feel I ought not to pursue a course which is very pleasing to myself, but (judging from appearance – & I only have human eyes and judgement) does not appear to please – – – you know whom I mean – so I have resolved, whether for a long or short period, I cannot foretell, to give up courting – but not my chosen friends –
   As you are, the only lady friend I have in Norwich, apart from those of my own home, I shall esteem it no small pleasure to pay you a social visit now & again –
   Hoping I am acting wisely – – – if not, a word may correct –
     I am, my dear friend,
    Yours very sincerely
    Alfred King.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strong family ties with rural Norfolk and Yarmouth in the 1920s

The family leave Tunstall and split up in 1875

The Tunstall mystery