Strong family ties with rural Norfolk and Yarmouth in the 1920s
I don't know what date Jane Betsy's daughter, Emma Jane, inherited enough money from her mother to take her family out of rented accommodation and to buy a house. There is a pencil note on the postcard of a house, similar to the one my mother was born into, (above) which gives a price of " £5 00, 83 year lease." I don't know, either, how long May Gertrude worked at Avenue Telephone Exchange after she was married. The question of what happened to the trust fund left to Jane Betsy in 1871 continues at least until 1912. May Gertrude's first daughter, Muriel Joyce, was born the following year in 1913. What I do have is a description of the house from my mother, Margaret, who was born in 1920. She writes for her own grandchildren in 1984: "I was born at 8 o'clock on 24th December 1920 at Portland Avenue, Stamford Hill, London N.16. My oldest sister is seven years older than me and my sister Nancy 4 years older. We lived with my grandmother, Emma Jane...



Comments