Emma Jane receives a remedy for a swollen face 1871

Intriguingly, there are some calculations on this letter. It is an indication money and budgeting was already puzzling the practical Emma Jane, who according to the letter has a swollen face.


This letter to Emma Jane is from Mary Ann Howlett. It has no address, but was sent to Tunstall. Mary Anne Howlett is Jane Betsy's cousin, the daughter of her uncle William Barnard Crow. She was living with her husband Walter Filby Howlett, a music setter or salesman (or both) at Brooklyn Villa, Earlham Road, Norwich.

Oct 14 1871

My dear Emma Jane,
    Having to send to the post, I thought I would just enclose a few pellets, as your brother tells me you had a swollen face this morning. Now my dear don't laugh at my little remedy, but oblige me, just take one three or four times a day until you have finished them and I think you will find the swelling will all disappear.
    I should be sorry to hear you were suffering from acute toothache. I am happy to say that Jane is progressing. I have seen her nearly every day since you left. When I look upon the last month, I think we have much to thank you for and I sincerely trust my dear, you may never regret having made the sacrifice you did in coming. It was a noble act on your part and I shall ever remember it.
   With the deepest gratitude, I assure you, and I for my part, also thank your Mamma & Brother for sparing you so long.
   With much love to you all,
   I am yours, every truly,
   Mary A Howlett


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strong family ties with rural Norfolk and Yarmouth in the 1920s

The family leave Tunstall and split up in 1875

The Tunstall mystery