Letters from London to Tunstall


On 17th November 1870 James Charles's parents receive a letter from W.J.O Broadbent M.O. FRCP, Senior Physician to the Fever Hospital. He writes from 44, Seymour Street.
Dear Sir,
   I have been commissioned by the committee of the London Fever Hospital to convey to you their deep and immense regret at the death of your son while acting as assistant resident Medical Officer to the Hospital and to express to you and Mrs Skinner and your family their sympathy with you in the loss you have sustained by his decease at the very outset of what promised to be a useful and successful career. I am desired also to give expression to their high appreciation of the kindness assiduity and conscientious care with which he discharged the duties committed to him.
   I cannot fulfil this painful duty without at the same time saying how greatly I was personally attached to your son and how highly I esteemed  his character. I had seen much of him at St Mary's and had watched his progress with great interest admiring his diligence and respecting his upright, steady and religious conduct. It was on this account that I offered him an appointment which I hoped would be of some advantage to him and his death under the circumstances has been the most painful and distressing event in my whole medical career. I must scarcely add that you have my deepest sympathy.
   I remain, dear Sir, yours very truly, W.J.O. Broadbent.

Less than a week later on 23th November 1870, James Pollard Skinner received a letter from W.R.Cheyne at the London Fever Hospital, Islington.
Dear Sir,
   On going over accounts, I find that the share due from the late Mr Skinner to the expenses of our board here comes to £5 counting from the day of his coming to the hospital up to the time of his taking ill – As he may not have mentioned this to you I think it rightful to explain that as the medical officers do not receive their board in addition to the salary it becomes necessary to arrange it in this way.
   My colleague Dr Lawrence was in charge of affairs during my absence in October, will assist me in sending off to you next week, the clothes and books.
   I remain, yours faithfully, W.R.Cheyne
on
Top, letter from Cheyne asking for the five pounds owing to the London Fever Hospital for James Charles's keep. In the centre a letter from Dr Broadbent, who sent a letter of condolence, wondering why James Charles's parents have sent him a postal order for five pounds. At the bottom is a second letter from Cheyne to say the money covers his share of butchers, bakers , green groceries and butter man etc etc from the time he started at the fever hospital to the time he fell ill. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strong family ties with rural Norfolk and Yarmouth in the 1920s

The family leave Tunstall and split up in 1875

The Tunstall mystery