Jane Betsy's letter from cousin Mary Anne Nov 1870



8 Grove Terrace, St Giles Road, Camberwell, 14th November 1870. Mary Ann must have been writing from London from that address. When she sends a remedy for a swollen face to Emma Jane In 1871, she is living in Brooklyn Villa, Earlham Road, Norwich. Mary Ann Howlett is Jane Betsy's cousin, the eldest daughter of her uncle William Barnard Crow.

My dear Mrs Skinner,
     I beg to apologise for not having written to you some days since, although there has been a delay in so doing, my deep and sincere sympathy with you, and for yours under your late bereavement and most severe trials have been, nevertheless  – we all have our peculiar trials, you my dear cousin, have had sorrows indeed, your cup full, and very bitter. But it is a mercy God has given you strength and brought you through up to the present which I am sure you both feel and know far better than I, a poor wavering unstable pilgrim.
   How consoling to you must be the thoughts of your dear son being free from all trouble and trial, he having left such a clear testimony behind him. I am sure you must gain strength from these thoughts and feel resigned too. I pray that you may still feel that support and strength given to you which none can take away – I hope Harry has recovered from his duties positively and the rest of your family are well.
   We have not had the pleasure of Emma Jane’s company yet during this summer. If you think you can spare her for a week or two, we shall be very glad indeed to see her any day she likes to come. I think a change would do her good and if it is not inconvenient to you I should like her to come at once. Perhaps she will drop me a line to say when.
   With my kindest love to you and to all, in which William joins,
   I remain, yours very truly,
   Mary Anne Howlett.





Comments

The 'William' referred to in this letter, is Mary Ann's son who followed his father into the music business and ran Howlett Pianos in Norwich.

Popular posts from this blog

Strong family ties with rural Norfolk and Yarmouth in the 1920s

The family leave Tunstall and split up in 1875

The Tunstall mystery